UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

January 09, 2015

Revlon Colorstay Foundation Review

One Little Vice Beauty Blog: Revlon Colorstay Foundation Buff Sand Beige

I dipped into some of my old haul posts and realised that I first discovered Revlon's Colorstay Foundation back in March, 2013. It took me a little while but I did eventually fall head-over-heels in love with this foundation. Applied properly - especially with the right primer - it comes close to being perfect. Here's how you can tell how much I like it, it's the first foundation that I've actually finished since I started this blog almost two and half years ago. 

I've been using Revlon's Colorstay Foundation for Oily/Combination Skin in the shade Buff which is quite fair with yellow undertones. It's the second palest shade (those of you with truly fair skin would prefer the shade Ivory) which is usually perfect for me in the depth of winter, but at the moment and in the spring/summer it is definitely a touch too light. I recently repurchased Revlon's Colorstay Foundation opting for the next shade along, Sand Beige. It's much deeper than Buff but it doesn't have an orange undertone so I find it quite wearable. For reference, I've included comparison swatches below.

One Little Vice Beauty Blog: Revlon Colourstay Foundation Review

The only way I like to apply Revlon's Colorstay Foundation is with a makeup sponge, and the one that I use (and have repurchased three times now) is the Real Techniques' Miracle Complexion Sponge. It's quite a thick and medium-to-high coverage foundation and I find that it can apply too thickly when I use a buffing brush. However, when I use a damp makeup sponge I find it to be really buildable, leaving a very natural looking finish despite offering a medium coverage. It also lasts really well on my skin, across both the oilier and drier parts of my face. It doesn't fade unevenly and it doesn't emphasise any of my skin concerns, this makes Revlon Colourstay a really reliable and easy-to-wear option that's great for both everyday and evening wear. I've included before and after photos of me wearing Buff and Sand Beige so that you can get a better idea of the coverage and colour that the foundation offers.

One Little Vice Beauty Blog: Revlon Colorstay Foundation Oily/Combo Skin Buff Swatches
One Little Vice Beauty Blog: Revlon Colorstay Foundation Sand Beige Swatches

In the above photos I'm not wearing a primer but I do generally like to use a primer when I wear any foundation. I have three favourite options that are all interchangeable depending on what sort of makeup look I'm going for:

To extend the wear time of my foundation and smooth over congested or blemished skin

To extend the wear time of my foundation and to add dewiness and radiance

To add warmth and a "healthy" looking glow

All of these primers work well with Revlon's Colorstay Foundation and I'd definitely recommend them.  


I'm a big fan of this foundation and I hope that you found my review helpful, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to leave them in the comments or tweet me for a quicker response. I'd love to know what foundation is your favourite and how you like to apply it - I'm particularly on the look out for new brush or sponge recommendations!


Share:

18 comments

  1. I love Revlon ColorStay, it's my favourite foundation of 2014! I apply it with Beauty Blender which is my absolute favourite tool to apply any foundation or concealer. I also have the Real Techniques sponge and while it's also good I somehow prefer the BB. x
    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really tempted by the beauty blender but it seems very expensive given how often you'd need to repurchase it compared to a makeup brush x

      Delete
  2. i really want to try out his foundation after hearing so many good things about it, and the shade range looks pretty good too (which is especially nice for a mixed race person like me!!) great post :-)

    fashion, beauty and an existential crisis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a shade that works well for you :) xx

      Delete
  3. Oh, wow, you've convinced me to give this foundation a try, seriously!
    ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found my post helpful - I hope you like it if you do try it x

      Delete
  4. I've gone to look at this foundation a few times in Boots but my local one never seems to have the lightest shades! Hopefully will spot them soon! xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do always seem to be sold out - I think its just a very popular choice! xx

      Delete
  5. It's such an amazing formula for me! It just kills me I can't get a decent colour match :( xx

    Magpie Jasmine || Palette Giveaway: Urban Decay, Nars, Charlotte Tilbury, Too Faced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's disappointing when foundations don't offer the right colours or a wide enough spectrum of colours. I'm surprised that given how popular it is that they haven't considered extending it xx

      Delete
  6. I need to give this one a go - looks great on you! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! What primer do you use with this? I've just picked up a bottle of this in Buff and will defo need to try applying it with a sponge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Revlon products. This foundation is one of my favourites, perfect coverage and nice price. I use my fingers to aply foundation but i like to use the Real Technique expert face brush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great on you! It is so nTural but covers well. I have loved Revlon foundations in the past and have been wondering how this one is. Thanks for the color comparisons. I think I'd be the lighter shade down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great products and brand.
    Thnk you for this nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Revlon's Colorstay in high school. I haven't bought it since then I should to try it again. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great on you!Great post!

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig