UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

April 25, 2013

Mini Review Round-Up #2 (Fragrance)

perfume sample review mini vials sniffed and tested


I thought I'd do something a little bit different to my last Mini Review Round-Up post (which you can read here) and focus on just one category. As you can tell, today is all about the perfume samples I've been trying out over the last month or so. I hope you enjoy reading my little mini-reviews! It's hard, but also very fun, to try and describe fragrances!




Nicki Minaj- Pink Friday*

This is a new scent from Nicki Minaj and the first thing that I notice when I smell it is that it is a really sweet fragrance that is made a lot nicer by the floral top notes. It's an incredibly girly scent, I imagine that a visual representation of this perfume would be something along the lines of a fruit/bubblegum mutant that had bathed in orange peel. I hate that I like it. It smells flatter than I normally like in my perfumes but there is something oddly alluring about it. Although, despite liking it, this isn't something I'd buy for myself. Pink Friday is definitely something you'd need to smell and make up your own mind about as I think it's going to be a bit of a love it or hate it fragrance. (Even if you aren't interested in trying this perfume t's worth checking out the bottle it comes in... It is terrifying.) Available here for £22.99*.


Dior- Miss Cherie Eau de Toilette*
This is the Eau de Toilette, which I think smells a little bit different to the Eau de Parfum. This Eau de Toilette is really wonderful to smell, it's a light floral scent with a base of musk that transforms it into something instantly more adult. It smells youthful without being an immature scent. I think it's light enough to wear throughout the summer but musky enough to still be a scent that you could wear in the evenings. To my nose, it is just a perfect scent. I've worked my way through a large bottle of this last year and this sample size was gifted to me to temporarily replace it. It's gorgeous and I think a lot of women would appreciate this as it is both delicate and versatile. Available here for £54.00*.



Molton Brown London- Valbonne

I recieved this sample in last month's Birchbox and it is an absolutely gorgeous fragrance, it's deep and rich without being too heavy. It's described as having " a top note of mandarin and dewy orange flower. Middle notes of Provencal mimosa, rose and deep purple orris. A base of vetiver and leather." It's a very sophisticated  scent, and very more-ish. The more I smell this the more I like it, it's quite a hypnotic smell. I think it would make a really fantastic evening scent for summer as it's floral without being very light- I'm very tempted to go out any buy it although it is advertised on the Molton Brown website as a men's fragrance...  Available here for £65


Dior- J'Adore Eau de Toilette*
J'Adore is a remarkable scent, it's very light scent but is also quite a statement fragrance. It's incredibly difficult to distinguish one (or more) of the particular components of this, it seems to be just a perfectly blended harmony of scents. I like this scent, it's wonderfully fresh and perfect for spring and summer, but in my opinion it just isn't as complex as Miss Cherie. But if you're looking for a fresh, statement perfume then this may be perfect for you. Available here for £54.00*.


Juicy Couture- Couture La La Eau de Parfum
At first I hated this perfume, and then I thought it was okay, and then I hated it and then I liked it. I just don't know with this one guys. It has top notes of mandarin, green apple, redcurrant and hyacinth, heart notes of lily of the valley, peony, violet leaves and orange flowers and bottom notes of smooth wood and liquid musk. It's definitely floral, but to my nose it smells a lot more sweet than musky. The base notes are there but they are really overpowered by the sweetness of the mandarin and green apple top notes. If you've been using DKNY Be Delicious and want something similar but a little less sweet to wear in the evening then Couture La La might be the perfume for you. Available here for £35.00.



Overall, this was a lovely bunch of samples to have been able to try out. Miss Cherie and Valbonne are definitely my favourites out of the bunch but I think all of them have their own personal appeal.



Have you tried any of these? Which one sounds most like something you'd wear?


Share:

1 comment

  1. I really really want to try J'adore, I need to get my hands on a sample xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig