UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

July 09, 2015

Summer Makeup Primers for All Skin Types

one little vice beauty blog: affordable and luxury primers for hot weather


In the summer, makeup primers become an essential part of my beauty routine. They don't just help your makeup go on more smoothly but they can also play a big part in helping your makeup to stay on your face. In addition, if you have any particular skin concerns then primers are an easy way to help counter them. The primers I'm going to talk through today are going to be good for dull skin, dry skin, combination skin and oily skin - and my favourite way to use primers is to mix and match them, using different ones on different parts of my face.

I have combination skin with an oily, congested t-zone and dry, dehydrated cheeks. On the drier areas of my skin I like to apply a hydrating primer to create a smooth, even base that will help keep my foundation (or tinted moisturiser) in place for longer. My two favourite choices for drier areas are Laura Mercier's Foundation Primer* (£29.00) and RMK's Makeup Base* (£28.00) - both have a similar lightweight consistency that leaves your skin looking slightly softer and moisturised. I find that both of these primers make a real difference to the way my foundation wears as they help reduce the appearance of dry patches throughout the day.

When my skin is looking dull and lacking radiance (usually either due to illness or alcohol consumption) then I like to reach for an illuminating primer. In the summer I like to add some bronze tones to my skin and I reach for Revlon's Photoready Skinlights Face Illuminator in Bare Light (£11.99). It feels very lightweight and doesn't clog my pores, adding a healthy looking bronze glow to my fair complexion. However, if I want something to really give me a lit from within glow that also has some hydrating properties then I use Nourish's Illuminating Face Shimmer* (£16.00). It's an incredible product for seriously dull skin as it tranforms the appearance of complexion without leaving you looking too shiny - to see my full face before and after photos check out this blog post. 

If you have oily and congested skin and want something to create a matte canvas then I'd highly recommend The Body Shop's Tea Tree Pore Minimiser (£7.50). I use this across my t-zone and it really helps with the appearance of open pores and uneven skin texture, keeping my foundation looking even for much longer. I also find that it helps keep my skin looking matte for longer, but it isn't a miracle worker and I do still need to use powder or blotting paper. If I want something slightly more heavy duty that will give me smooth and even looking skin then I reach for a product like Benefit's The PoreFessional (£24.50) or The Body Shop's Instablur (£14.00). Both of these primers have a similar silicone texture and glide onto the skin leaving a smooth and even canvas. I find that Benefit's primer is slightly more effective but I reach for both interchangably as I find them very similar. 


I hope this have given you some inspiration on which primers might suit your skin type. Let me know if you have any questions, or any other product recommendations, in the comments below.


Share:

4 comments

  1. Fantastic post with very interesting tips and products!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely need to try the Tea Tree primer over summer to keep away the shine! I love the Porefessional and Instablur too :) I like the Revlon Skinlights mixed in with foundation xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have a look at the Revlon Skinlights if it doesn't break you out. I could do with an illuminating primer xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot go without a primer in the heat of Texas or I would be bare faced in 2 hours!! Porefessional is great but my Laura Mercier is better!

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig