UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

July 12, 2013

Out With The Old: The Make-Up Clear Out


This weekend I'm off on a trip to see my friend Tom who lives in a gorgeous little village in Shropshire. As I'll be away for a few days I had a little rummage through my make-up collection to pick out bits and pieces to take with me. Whilst I was rummaging, I started to notice quite a few beauty items (especially mascaras...) that I really should have thrown away by now. In order to take control of the situation (and also as an exercise in procrastination) I decided to have a little clear out of any make-up that was most definitely past its use-by date.The result of this clear out was the removal of seven items; MaxFactor's Clump Defy Mascara, MacFactor's 2000 Calorie Mascara, a sample of Clinique's High Impact Mascara, Sleek's Blush in Fenberry, Bourjois' Clubbing Liquid Eyeliner, Bourjois' 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation and a sample of Yves Saint Laurent False Lash Effect Mascara.

I don't know about you but I find it incredibly hard to let go of some beauty items if they aren't completely used up. I'll admit now that I didn't even like some of these examples (MaxFactor's 2000 Calorie Mascara was one of the worst mascaras I've ever tried, and the Sleek Blush was far too dark for me) but I couldn't let them go. There are, however, three beloved items that I'm saying goodbye to. The Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation was my first ever foundation (although this is probably my second or third bottle) and although this isn't empty it is old. Then there is the Bourjois' Clubbing Eyeliner, which remains my favourite liquid eyeliner to this day. I've probably gotten through six tubes of it over the years  and I actually had a back up tube ready to go, so I don't know why I've hung onto this one for so long. Lastly, the most recent addition of the lot (and you can tell by the packaging), is MaxFactor's Clump Defy Mascara. this was an instant hit and I feel as though I really should have reviewed it before giving up on it due to its advanced age. Almost six months old, and having been used almost every day, it is definitely time to retire this mascara - I really don't want an eye infection, even if it is sunglasses weather.

It's hard to determine what products should bite the dust, but when you look through your make-up collection in your heart of hearts you just know. Honestly, your skin, your eyes and your health are all worth replacing old make-up for. It doesn't have to be an activity you enjoy but it is definitely a necessity, and if you're anything like me you'll probably have a few back-ups that will take the place of anything lost. 


What make-up products do you own that in your heart of hearts you know you should bin?



Share:

9 comments

  1. I'm the same, I don't like to throw things away if they're not empty, even if I should! I do need to have a bit of a clear out though, especially with mascaras :)xo

    http://901lovely.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so lazy regarding this, I just look at my make up stash and think 'Ahhhh there's too much to go through!' I must try to do it more often x

    fabheadtotoe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm exactly like you! I find it so hard to get rid of makeup, even if I have never used it in my life :') x

    Beaumaquillagex | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. So hard to get rid of stuff that isn't finished! I am trying to be better about it as well, and to use up the products I do have.

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a MAC Pure Sculpture which is basically a cream bronzer but it's perfect and i'm using it daily rather than saving it because I know it'll go off in less than a year from purchase. The only thing i'll regret more than throwing it out is throwing it out with wasted product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so bad, I dont throw things away unless theyre used!

    Beth May Blogs
    My Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant post! I had to do the same recently, as reluctant as I was to do so!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to do this. I have loads of old mascaras just lying about that are clearly too old and dried. But i dont think i could throw away my blushes >.<

    from Brigitte at BreezeyBee Blog | BlogLovin' | Twitter

    dont forget to enter my RiRi Woo Giveaway Here
    xoXo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't throw makeup away - although I know I should!

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig