UK Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

November 19, 2014

Makeup Look: The Soft Underline

Easy to wear eyeshadow look

A couple of days ago I was skimming through Elle (on the look out for beauty bits) when I saw, for the very first time, that a name that had given to a makeup look that I quite like to wear - Elle called it "The Soft Underline". 

The soft underline is a look where instead of wearing bold eyeshadow on your eyelids, you opt for a wash of colour across your lower lash line instead. Kate from Ghostparties often opts for a version of this look in her make-up tutorials, and it gives her eyes incredible definition. The soft underline is great for adding definition but it's also an easy way for those with hooded eyelids to more noticeably inject some colour into their makeup. Eyeshadow often gets lost on me. Because of my hooded lids the colour can't really be noticed until I close my eyes. However, when I choose to apply a sweep of eyeshadow just beneath my lower lash-line the colour can really stand out. 

I've been applying my makeup like this for a long time but I really liked seeing it in Elle as an emerging makeup trend. It made something that's been so familiar for so long seem new and exciting again. 

The image I've included in this blog post is of all the products that I tend to reach for when I wear this type of look. You can instantly see a trend - I like to wear browns. I find brown the easiest colour to wear as its very neutral but still makes my blue eyes stand out. My most worn product is definitely Maybelline's Colour Tattoo in On and On Bronze but I've also recently discovered Wild About Beauty's Eyeshadow in the shade Eva which I love using. Both of these products are warm toned and really help brighten up my complexion. An eyeliner that works well with them is Mac's Pearlglide Intense Eyeliner in Lord It Up (which was my first ever Mac purchase). However, although it's a gorgeous shade it doesn't have the staying power that I would like.

When I want to opt for something slightly cooler toned I reach for E.L.F.'s Eyeshadow in the shade What's Your Name*. It's a very pretty purple toned grey-taupe and it looks lovely over the top of Rimmel's ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in the shade Taupe or BeYu's Colour Biggie Crayon in shade 330.


Do you ever wear your makeup like this?


Share:

10 comments

  1. I had no idea this kind of application had a technique name to it now. I love doing this most days when I have no time! Love the shades you have here x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great products there, I also love muted brown for my eyes in Autumn!

    Josie XOXO
    Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this look too, it makes my eyes stand out a lot more. MAC Teddy eyeliner is stunning under the eye!

    Ellis / ELRBX.COM x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried this but it sounds really cool and I think I will give it a try! :))

    sisepuedee.blogspot.dk
    -Milla

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of doing this before but I'll definitely give it a go! :) I also love the products you've picked out as examples xx

    Jasmine // Magpie Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!!! Great products too! Would you like to follow each other on GFC?! Let me know and follow me on my blog, I will follow you right back on both GFC and Bloglovin!
    xx
    Annie
    www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought I was boring for opting for shades like this, but now I don't even care. Brown liner is my saviour!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm nothing I love more than pretty neutral, copper-toned makeup :)

    Enclothed Cognition
    @mskerih

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like colour under the eyes but I have such dark circles I feel like the colour gets lost :-( xx

    ReplyDelete

© One Little Vice | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig